Something like this:

Monday, March 19, 2007

JOE THE LUNCH LADY


I think there are more New Yorkers in the South than Southerners, and they're all living in my apartment community. One neighbor (who moved from Jersey, but is from the Bronx) is Joe. Couldn't possibly be a nicer guy; as we chatted while I was jumping in the trash compactor (not for fun - it's part of my job. But, it is fun...) I learn he's a retired super and was hoping to get a little extra income working at a school cafeteria.

"You're gonna be a lunch lady?" I asked.

"Yeah," he laughed, "but I'm not gonna wear a dress."

"I don't know..." I reply, "there might be a dress code. Things are formal down here."

Don't worry, Joe. I didn't put you in a dress. But you are wearing a hairnet.

Here's how I did it:

The preliminary sketches
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Then I lightly draw the image on the card
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add more ink detail
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And then the final picture, as you see above.

Sometimes I go the other way - I paint first, then ink it. I'm unpredictable - just ask my parole officer.

-----
LOOK! Pretty shiny things to buy @ NUTMEGNINE.COM!

And look here! Art to buy!

Need more wittyness and birdwatching excitement? Click this VERY SENTENCE.

No comments: